User upload wizard
The User Upload Wizard allows you to create a new upload job and import users into xMatters by uploading a data file in comma-separated values format. Once you have added a new upload job, the wizard guides you through a four-step process to load your users into xMatters:
- Upload your data file
- Validate your data file
- Process your data file
- Notify users about their account
A template file is available in the first step of the of the User Upload Wizard (for more information, see Modify the upload template file).
If you do not have access to the User Upload Wizard, contact your Client Success Manager to help you upload users into xMatters using this tool.
When you create a User Upload Job for the first time, you must give it a unique name.
To create a new job:
- Click the Admin tab, and then click the User Upload menu item.
- On the Upload Jobs page, click the Add New link.
- The Add an Import Job page is displayed.
Add an Import Job page
- Type a name for the job in the Name field.
- Click Save, which takes you to the Data File Upload Page.
- If you are not ready to associate a file with the job, you can return to the page later to upload the data file.
Data File Upload page
Once you have added the upload job, you can associate a data file to it. If you are not already familiar with the required data file format, see Modify the upload template file.
To upload the data file:
- On the Upload Jobs page, click the name link of the job to which you want to add a data file.
- Click Browse and navigate to the file you want to upload (if necessary, download a data file template by clicking the provided link).
- Click Upload to validate the file.
Data File Validation page
- After the file has validated, do one of the following:
- If the file validated without errors, click Continue to process the file.
- If there were validation errors, address the errors and try uploading the file again (for assistance, see Troubleshoot user upload validation errors).
- If there were validation errors and you still want to process the Users, click Continue to process the file.
Data File Processing
You must wait until the file is processed before you can send a notification message to the new users. By default, processing occurs hourly. If you need to change the processing interval, contact your xMatters representative.
To monitor data file processing:
- Check the related job's status in the Upload Jobs page.
Upload Jobs page with job marked SCHEDULED FOR PROCESSING
- Periodically refresh or return to the Upload Jobs page to see whether the job's status has changed to PROCESSED.
Upload Jobs page with job marked PROCESSED
- Click the job's name link to check for processing errors.
Data file processing completed
- Click Continue to advance to the User Notification page.
After the data file has been validated and processed, the next step is to send new users a notification that includes explanatory text and a URL to access their account. This allows users to start self-managing their information (devices, web login password, etc.) immediately.
The Message Body field includes a default message that you can edit as required. The message is pre-populated with the login page specified by the WEBSERVERURL Global Constant (only super administrators or xMatters hosts have access to this setting).
Default upload notification message
To help ensure that users receive the notification, all email devices for each user are set as default devices during the import. Once you have made the necessary modifications, including replacing placeholder text with actual values, click Send Message. Users have 36 hours to change their web login password.