Create dynamic teams
xMatters includes the ability to create teams of users based on selected criteria. These teams are called dynamic teams because their members change depending on who matches the selected criteria at the time of an event.
For example, you can create a dynamic team that includes all users who have been assigned to work in a particular physical location within your organization, such as on the third floor of a building. You could base this on a custom attribute that indicates on which floor each user works. As each user is assigned to the third floor, or moves to another floor, their attribute is updated to reflect that change.
You do not need to update the list of team members as xMatters checks the database each time to determine who should belong to the dynamic team and receive the alert.
When you create a dynamic team, you configure who has permission to access, notify, and manage the dynamic team. This process is similar to creating group supervisors and observers; however, by default dynamic teams do not have any observers unless they are explicitly defined. You must define at least one dynamic team observer role for the dynamic team to be accessible by non-administrator users. For more information about group supervisors and group observers, see Group supervisors and Group observers.
- Click the Groups tab.
- In the Teams menu on the left side of the screen, click Dynamic Teams.
- On the Dynamic Teams I Supervise page, click the Add New link.
- xMatters displays the Dynamic Team Details page.
- Type a name and a brief description for the new dynamic team.
- In the Search Criteria area, specify the search criteria you want to use to determine the members for this team. xMatters will perform this search each time an alert needs to be sent to this dynamic team.
- The Any and All options at the top of the Search Criteria area control the “OR”/ “AND” calculation across fields and custom attribute categories. Multiple values selected within a category are calculated as an “OR”.
- Click the Preview button to view a list of users that currently match the criteria.
The Preview Results do not include users you do not have permission to view, but those users will be included in the dynamic team.
- Click Save to create the dynamic team. The Dynamic Teams I Supervise page is displayed.
- To view the Dynamic Teams page, click the name of the dynamic team you created.
- To configure who has permission to view and notify the dynamic team, click Common Tasks, and then click Dynamic Team Observers.
- Click Add New.
- In the Available Attributes list, select the roles that will have permission to view and notify the dynamic team, and then click Add.
- Click Save.
- Click Common Tasks, and then click Back To Dynamic Team Details. The Dynamic Team page is displayed.
- To configure who has permission to manage and modify the dynamic team, click Common Tasks, and then click Dynamic Team Supervisors.
- Click Add New to view the Find a Supervisor page.
- Search for the users that will have permission to modify the team, add them to the Current User Members list, and click Save. For more information about searching for users, see Search for users with the advanced search tool.
Search for dynamic teams
Administrators and group supervisors can use the Find Dynamic Teams page to search for dynamic teams and view or edit the details for dynamic teams which they control.
- Click the Groups tab.
- In the Teams menu on the left side of the page, click Find Dynamic Teams.
- Do one of the following:
- To search using text, click the drop-down box.
- To specify your search criteria, type the text for which you want to search, and then click Find.
- To display a list of all dynamic teams, click Show All.