Schedule a quick message
You can create a schedule that will send a message on a specific date, or on a recurring daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly basis. Scheduled messages are sent as notifications to the users, groups, or dynamic teams you specify.
To create a scheduled message:
- Click the Messaging tab.
- On the Quick Messaging page, type the text of the message in the Message Text field.
- In the Recipients area, specify the users, groups, and dynamic teams you want to receive the message.
- In the Scheduled Messaging area, click the + button to expand the options.
- Type a descriptive name for the scheduled message in the Name field.
- The name of each scheduled message you control must be unique.
- Select one of the radio buttons to specify the frequency of the scheduled message, as described in the following table:
Sends the message once, on a specific date.
Sends the message multiple times per day, on specific days of the week and within a set range of hours. For example, you could create a schedule to send a message every two hours between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday, or that sends a message every 6 hours all day Saturday and Sunday.
Sends the message one or more times per week, at the same time each day. For an example of creating a weekly reminder message, see the following section, Example Scheduled Message.
Sends the message once per month, either on a specific date or on a specific day of the week, such as the first Monday, or second Friday. You can also set the time of day at which the message is sent.
Sends the message once per year. You can specify the date and time at which the message will be sent.
- Specify the schedule for the message using the options for the selected frequency.
- Click Send Message to create the scheduled message.
If you contract or hide the Scheduled Messaging options before clicking Send Message, xMatters will treat the message as a quick message and send it immediately. xMatters will not create the scheduled message.
The following example shows how to create a sample scheduled message.
Assume that you need to create a scheduled message to meet the following requirements:
- Several employees work in a development environment where they store their source code on a central server.
- The server is backed up every Friday at 6pm, and the developers must commit all of their work to the server before the backup starts.
- The employees need to receive a message about the pending backup, and be reminded to check in their code.
- The employees are already users, and have configured their devices, timeframes, and other details.
- All of the employees who need to receive the reminder message have been assigned to a group named “Developers”. This group specifies no delay between notifications, and uses the default devices for all team members.
To create a weekly scheduled message:
- Log in to xMatters, and then click the Messaging tab.
- On the Send a Quick Message page, in the Message Text field, type the following message:
The Code Storage Server will begin its regularly scheduled backup in 30 minutes. Please check in all outstanding code.
- In the Recipients area, click the Add Groups link, and then use the Find Group Recipients page to locate and add the “Developers” group to the Current Group Recipients list. Click Save to assign the group as a recipient and return to the messaging page.
- In the Scheduled Messaging area, click the + button to expand the scheduled messaging option.
- In the Name field, type Code Storage Backup Reminder.
- Click the Every Week radio button.
- Clear the check boxes for all days of the week except Friday.
- Specify 17:30 as the time at which the message should be sent.
- Keep the remaining default frequency settings, and click Send Message.
- xMatters creates the scheduled message and displays it in your Scheduled Messages list.
xMatters will now send a message every Friday afternoon at 5:30 to the Developers group, reminding the team members to check in their code.
You can use the View Scheduled Messages page to view a list of the scheduled messages you control, and edit or delete your scheduled messages. Administrators can use the View Scheduled Messages page to view and edit all scheduled messages in the system.
Note that expired scheduled messages are not automatically removed from xMatters; you must delete them manually.
- Login to xMatters, and then click the Messaging tab.
- In the menu on the left side of your browser window, click View Scheduled Messages.
- xMatters displays the Scheduled Messages page.
- Do either of the following:
- To edit a message’s schedule, click the link in the Name column for the message you want to edit.
- To delete scheduled messages, select the check box next the messages you want to delete, and then click Remove Selected.
When a user is deleted from the system, all of the scheduled messages created by that user are also deleted.