SignalFx is a real-time operational intelligence platform that discovers and collects metrics across every component in the cloud. The service provides real-time visibility into today’s dynamic environments for data-driven DevOps teams.
When an alert detector is triggered, this integration relays critical SignalFx data to the correct people and systems to help coordinate and resolve incidents faster.
To install this integration in xMatters, simply go to the Integration Directory (Developer > Integrations), click the Available tab and start typing the name of the integration. Once you find the integration, click its tile and then click Create Configuration. Check out the Integration Directory to learn more.
How to set up a SignalFx configuration
After you give your configuration a name and description, type a name to use when sending alerts (so you can easily tell which configuration or integration the alerts are from).
This integration also needs your SignalFx Access Token to authenticate xMatters requests.
- Log in to SignalFx and select Organization > Access Tokens.
- Expand the organization you're configuring and click Show Token, then click Copy.
Enter your SignalFx Access Token in the field on the configuration page, then select whether or not you want to add notes to SignalFx when the integration creates an event in xMatters or receives a device delivery update. Add all the users and groups you want to be notified when the integration is triggered, then click Save.
Once you save the configuration, xMatters displays the URL you need to configure SignalFx.
You can now create a webhook in SignalFx targeting this URL.
- Log into SignalFx as an administrator and go to the Integrations tab.
- Search for xMatters or go to the Notification Services section, and click the xMatters tile.
- Click New Integration, give it a name, and copy the URL from the integration configuration page in xMatters into the URL field in SignalFx.
Your integration is now complete! You can now add the xMatters integration as an alert recipient to an alert rule in SignalFx.
Use your integration
When an alert rule (with the xMatters webhook as the alert recipient) is triggered in SignalFx, the webhook integration sends details to xMatters, which creates an event and notifies the recipients.
- Create a detector and add an alert rule (if you don't already have this set up).
- Add the SignalFx xMatters webhook integration as the alert recipient.
When the alert conditions are met, the integration creates an event in xMatters, notifying the recipients you set up on the configuration page.
Check out the screenshots at the top of this page to see what the notifications would look like in the xMatters mobile app. When notified as a recipient, you can select one of the following responses:
- Acknowledge: assigns the event to you, and stops notifying other recipients. A note is added to the alert in SignalFx.
- Mute: mutes notifications for 60 minutes. You can unmute notifications by going back into the original notification and selecting Unmute.
- Unmute: unmutes notifications before the mute duration has elapsed.
- Add a note: adds a note with your comment to the alert in SignalFx.
- Resolve: stops notifying all recipients and terminates the event in xMatters and SignalFx.
- Escalate: stops notifying you about the event, and immediately escalates the notification to the next available on-call member defined in xMatters.
Choose a response to see how your selection is reflected in SignalFx.