Create, delete, and export groups
The Groups page displays the groups that you have permission to view. You can locate the Groups page by clicking the Groups tab. (The Groups tab is not available to users that do not have permission to view groups.)
The group list displays information about each group, including the group name and description, a summary of the group's shifts, and whether the group is active and complete. You can limit the group list to display only groups that you supervise or that match search criteria such as the group name or description.
The following image illustrates how groups may appear on the Groups page:
- Both of the Cleaning Staff and Customer Service groups contain multiple shifts and are active and complete.
- The Delivery group does not contain any members, so it is marked as not complete.
- The Executive group uses a 24x7 shift, but is not active and therefore cannot receive notifications.
The following sections describe some of the actions you can perform on the Groups page.
You can use the Add Group dialog box to quickly create a simple group containing a single shift, and then modify it further by adding more shifts and members to make it as complex as you want. For a complete, step-by-step example of how to create a group with multiple shifts, see Example groups.
To create a group:
- Click the Groups tab.
- Click the Add Group button.
- xMatters displays the Add Group dialog box.
- Type a name for the new group in the Name field, and then add a brief description (maximum 200 characters) of the group in the Description field.
- Even though the Description field is optional, giving the group a description can make it easier for users to understand their schedule and why they have been assigned to this group.
- On the Members tab, use the drop-down list and search field to locate the users, devices, groups, and dynamic teams you want to add to this group.
- These members are added to a default shift that is always active and notifies all group members at the same time. You can later change the shift parameters or move these members to another shift.
- On the Supervisor tab, use the drop-down list and search for users that you want to supervise this group.
- Only users with the correct permissions are displayed in the search results. For more information about group supervisors, see Group supervisors.
- To remove a supervisor or member from a list, click the red X beside their name.
- You cannot remove the last supervisor from the list.
- If you want to add another group immediately after creating this one, select the Create Another check box.
- Click Add Group to create the group.
To delete a group, select the check box next to the group or groups that you want to remove, and then click Delete Groups.
If the deleted group is a member of any other groups, it is removed from their rosters and shifts.
By default, the Groups page displays all groups in the system that you have permission to view, but you can filter this list to display a smaller set of groups.
- To view only the groups you supervise, click Groups I Supervise, or click All Groups to clear this filter.
- To view groups that match search criteria, click the Search button and then enter the search criteria. For more information about using the search feature, see Search for users and groups.
- To sort the list by in alphabetical or numerical order of a column's contents, click the column header. Click it again to reverse the sort order.
If you have the permissions to view a group, you can view detailed information about it, including information about members, shifts, advanced group details, and who is on duty.
To view more information about a group, click its name in the group list. xMatters then displays the overview tab of the group details.
Exporting group details to a comma-separated values (CSV) file enables you to store a copy of the group details including the group members and the configured devices for each group member. You can use this information to verify group membership and ensure that individual users have configured their devices.
When an exported group does not contain any members, the member-specific columns in the report display the text "Empty Group". If the user performing the group export does not have permission to view certain fields, the fields display an asterisk (*) to indicate that there is data for the field but it cannot be viewed.
To export group details:
- Click the Groups tab.
- Refine the list of groups that you want to export. xMatters exports information for all groups that are displayed on the page, regardless of whether the check box next to the group name is selected.
- Click the gear icon, and then click Export.
- The groups are exported to a file named Groups Export <date/time>.csv, where <date/time> is a time stamp of when the file was created.
If you have created a group with a roster and schedule and want to create another, identical group - there's an easier way. Rather than create a second version of the same group (and have to maintain the schedule and roster in two different places), take advantage of the ability to nest groups within xMatters, and add the group you want to copy as a member of the new group instead. xMatters will automatically respect the shift definitions within the sub-group whenever it is targeted for notification.