Manage dynamic teams
xMatters includes the ability to create teams of users based on selected criteria. These teams are called dynamic teams because their members change depending on who matches the selected criteria at the time of an alert.
For example, you can create a dynamic team that includes all users who have specific training (such as first aid or fire safety) in a particular physical location within your organization. You could base this on a custom user property that indicates the level of training each user has. As each user gains a certification, the team is updated to reflect that change.
You do not need to update the list of team members as xMatters checks the database each time to determine who should belong to the dynamic team and receive the alert. All members of a dynamic team are notified simultaneously when targeted by a notification.
The following sections describe the actions you can perform on the Dynamic Teams page:
On the Groups menu, under Teams, click Dynamic Teams.
You can use the search bar to find dynamic teams that contain the search term in their name or description.
Start typing in the search bar (a minimum of two characters is required). xMatters automatically updates the list to display items that contain (partially match) the search term, and highlights the portion of each item that matches the specified criteria. If you search multiple terms, xMatters returns dynamic teams that match all of the terms.
The available filters allow you to narrow the dynamic teams list based on matching specific criteria. For example, you can use filters to locate all the teams that you supervise, or those that are supervised by other users. For detailed instructions on how to use filters, see Filtering data tables.
The following table describes the available filters on the Dynamic Teams page and their values:
- Click the Dynamic Teams tab, and then Add Dynamic Team.
- Type the dynamic team's name and add an optional description.
- In the Criteria area, specify the search criteria you want to use to determine the members for this team. xMatters will perform this search each time an alert is sent to this dynamic team.
- From the Property drop-down list, select a search field.
- From the Condition drop-down list, select the condition of the search.
- In the Value field, type one or more values for the property.
- To add additional fields, click + Add Criteria.
- If any Multi-Select List custom user properties are configured for your company, select one or more values for a property to include it as search criteria. If you select multiple values for a single property, the user must match any of the values.
- If you want to create an additional dynamic team, select Add Another Dynamic Team.
- Click Add to create the dynamic team.
To delete a dynamic team, select the check box next to the dynamic team or teams that you want to remove, and then click Delete
If the deleted team is a member of any groups, it is removed from their rosters and shifts.
Dynamic team permissions
When you create a dynamic team, you configure who has permission to access, notify, and manage it. This process is similar to creating group admins and observers; however, by default dynamic teams do not have any observers unless they are explicitly defined. You must define at least one observer role for the dynamic team to be accessible by non-administrator users. For more information about group admins and group observers, see Group admins and Group observers.