Search for users and groups
The Users and Groups page display items in a scroll-and-load list. When this list contains a large number of items, you may want to refine the contents of the list by using the available search options.
When you navigate away from the Users page or the Groups page, xMatters remembers some of your search options, and re-applies them the next time you visit the same page. For example, if you search for users who belong to a specific site and then click away to view a user's details, the next time you navigate back to the Users page it displays the same search.
Every time you modify the contents of the search bar, the results in the list will be updated to include only those items that match all of the criteria you specify; i.e., the list will not contain any items that match only part of the criteria.
Click the Search button.
Start typing in the search bar (a minimum of two characters is required). A drop-down list appears that displays the available fields you can search.
Click one of the options in the drop-down list to create a capsule in the search bar that displays the criteria. xMatters automatically updates the list to display only those items that match the search term, and highlights the portion of each item that matches the specified criteria.
To further refine your search, do any of the following:
- Click in the search bar and start typing to select another option from the drop-down list and create another capsule.
- Click the right half of a capsule to edit the search criteria. Note that you can only have one capsule for each of the available items in the drop-down list, but you can have multiple capsules that search for the same terms in different item properties.
- Click the left half of a capsule and then press Delete to remove a criteria.
You can refine the list of displayed users or groups to view only the ones that you supervise:
- Click Users I Supervise (or Groups I Supervise) to filter the list to show only users (or groups) you supervise.
- Click All Users (or All Groups) to show all users (or groups) that you have permission to view. If there are users or groups in your company that you do not have permission to view you will not be able to see them.
Some available search options apply to users but do not apply to groups. Search filters allow you to locate users who have account configuration issues such as being inactive or unsupervised or who have problems with their devices. The advanced search allows you to quickly create more elaborate searches for specific situations.
The Filters drop-down list in the search bar on the Users page allows you to search for users based on their status within the system, or to quickly locate users that have not validated their devices. The Filters drop-down list is not available when searching for groups.
To view the list of available filters, click the Filters drop-down list in the search bar:
Select any of the options to limit the users shown on the page to those users that match the criteria. For example, select the Inactive Users check box to show only those users that do not have the Active check box selected on their details page, or select the Users with Untested Devices check box to show only those users that have not validated all of their devices yet. If you select both of these options, you see a list of only those inactive users who also have untested devices.
When a filter is selected, the check box on the Filters drop-down list changes to indicate that a filter is being applied to the list of users. If you navigate away from the users page (e.g., by clicking on a user), the page remembers your settings. The next time you return to the users page, the page automatically displays the Search bar and applies your selected filters.
The filters and search capabilities of the users page should enable you to find most users quickly, but there may be situations where you want to conduct more elaborate or specific searches on custom fields or other user details. In these cases, you can click the Advanced Search link to specify multiple criteria using the classic xMatters search utility.
To use the advanced search:
- Do any of the following (or click the Show Basic button to return to the users page):
- To restrict the search to users at a specific site, select an option in the Site drop-down list.
- To restrict the search to users in a specific group, type the group's name in the Member of Group field.
- To search by a text string, specify the search criteria using the drop-down lists, and enter the text for which you want to search. (Click More Fields to enter more strings.)
- Specify whether users must match all of the specified criteria, or whether you want to see any users that match at least one of the criteria.
- Click Find to perform the search.
Users for which you have the “View Person” permission are listed as hyperlinks; you can click on their names to view their details.
If you want to view a list of all users who have a specific role (e.g., group supervisors), you can use the View Users by Their Role page.
To display users by role:
- In the web user interface, click the Users tab.
- On the left menu, click View Users by Role.
- Click the Role drop-down list, select an option to search, and then click Display.
- To modify permissions for a user, click the related link in the Results table.
Depending on your permissions, you can view other users’ supervisors, or a list of users that are supervised by a specific user.
To view a user’s supervisors:
- Use the tools on the Users page to locate the user for whom you want to view supervisors, and click their name in the list to view their details.
- To view a list of the user’s supervisors, click View Supervisors in the Common Tasks menu.
- To view a list of the users supervised by this user, click Supervised Users in the Common Tasks menu.