Record and preview a new voice interaction phrase
You can record a new phrase with the Voice Interaction editor using your computer's microphone or an active voice device such as your mobile phone. Once you have recorded a phrase, it becomes available to other users and forms within your company. (For more information about configuring devices, see Manage your devices.)
After you record a voice interaction, you can preview it from the Voice Interaction editor to make sure it meets your needs.
To use your computer's microphone to record a voice interaction phrase, you must use a supported web browser and give it permission to access your computer's microphone. Recommended web browsers for voice phrase recording include Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer 11. The process for granting access to the computer's microphone is different for each browser and may change from version to version. Consult the help for your browser to learn how to grant microphone access to web applications.
To use this feature with Internet Explorer 11, you must have Adobe Flash installed on your system. Download it at http://adobe.com.
- Ensure that the computer's microphone is working and that you are using a supported browser.
- Your browser may prompt you to allow your xMatters instance to access your microphone. Here's an example from Chrome (your browser may be different):
- If you previously denied microphone access to xMatters, you may need to reset this setting in your web browser before continuing.
- Click the Add Recording button (the microphone icon) next to the speech item you want to record.
- The microphone recording dialog appears.
If the browser does not have permission to access the microphone, this dialog is not displayed and you are prompted to select a voice device.
- Click the microphone to begin recording, and then speak your message into the microphone.
- The countdown timer displays how much time is remaining for your message. If you need more time, record another message.
- To stop the recording, click the stop button (the red square).
- To review your message, press the play button (the green triangle).
- If you like your recording, click Keep. Otherwise, click Discard and re-record your message.
- Verify your recording has been saved by checking that the TTS icon to the right of the phrase has changed to the play icon.
- Click the Add Recording button (the microphone icon).
- If you have given xMatters permission to use the microphone, you may be prompted to begin recording into the microphone. Click Record over the phone to record using a voice device.
- Select a voice device that you will use to record the phrase.
- To initiate a phone call to the selected device, click Next.
- When xMatters calls the selected device, follow the prompts to record, review, and save your message.
- To verify that your recording has been saved, ensure that the icon to the left of the phrase has changed from the TTS icon to the play icon.
Before using your voice interaction in your notifications, it's recommended that you preview your scripts. The Voice Interaction editor lets you can configure and send a test voice message to yourself to hear how your script sounds, and troubleshoot any issues quickly.
To preview the voice interaction, you need a voice device set up in xMatters.
- Click Save and Preview to open the Preview Voice Interaction dialog box.
- Specify the settings for any properties you added to the script (these are properties a message sender would configure before initiating the form). You're given the opportunity to add a recording for text properties without a recording; if you don't add a recording, TTS will be used.
- Click Start Preview and listen to the message when the system calls you, taking note of any changes you want to make to the script.