Specify response counts
Response counts (also known as fill counts) allow you to control the number of recipients that must respond to a message before xMatters stops attempting to notify a group.
You can use this feature to ensure that a specific set of skills is represented in a business process or that a certain number of the appropriate people are notified for each incident or emergency. For example, you could notify a large group of technicians about a technical problem and, once five people have indicated that they are able to attend, stop notifying the rest of the group.
You could also specify a different response requirement for multiple groups targeted by the same message. For example, if an accident occurs on a factory floor, you might want to make sure that at least one person with medical training can get to the scene, ensure that one of the on-duty managers is notified, and have four of the nearby floor workers attend in case there is heavy lifting required.
If a recipient responds to a notification with an option that indicates they cannot contribute to the response count, xMatters immediately escalates the event and begins attempting to notify the next scheduled recipient.
You can use the response counts options in the Recipients section of a form to configure response counts for messages you send using that form. Form designers can preconfigure response counts when they create the form and, depending on the form options, message senders can modify the response counts before sending the message.
For more information about configuring responses for forms that use response counts, see Configure response counts.
- If there are no recipients listed, click Add Recipients to open the Recipients window and add them.
- When all recipients are selected, click Apply to add them to the form.
- In the Recipients section, select the Set Response Count Limit check box.
- Note that if you have already defined response actions, xMatters automatically resets all of the existing response actions.
- Specify the response counts for each group of recipients, as described below.
Some message forms may be configured to count responses; this feature allows you to control the number of recipients that must respond to a message before xMatters stops attempting to notify a group.
All recipients added to a form that is configured for response counts are listed in the Recipients section. You can set one response count level for all recipients, or separate specific groups (or dynamic teams) to assign them a different response count level.
To specify response counts:
- All of the recipients in the Recipients section are treated as a single response group. Select Set Response Count Limit and enter a response limit number.
- To give a group or dynamic team a different response limit, click Count separately.
- xMatters creates a new section containing only that group or team.
- In the field provided for each response group, type the number of responses you want to receive from that response group before xMatters stops notifying them.
- To combine a separated response group with the Recipients response group, click Stop counting separately for that group.
- Note that this discards any response counts you have specified for the separated group. Ensure that you update the required response counts for the Recipients response group accordingly.
Here's how xMatters notifies recipients with varying response count limits:
- xMatters begins notifying all listed recipients.
- Once five responses are received from the Field Technicians' group, xMatters stops notifying the remaining members of the Field Technicians group.
- Once a total of two responses are received from any combination of the other listed recipients, xMatters stops sending out notifications.