Define form properties
The Properties tab allows you to create properties such as Boolean check boxes, option lists, and number selectors that can then be added to communication plan forms and messages, including the Subject line of email notifications. Properties can be used only within the communication plan for which they were created.
When you insert a property into a message, its configured value will replace the property name when a form is initiated. For example, if you add a text property to your messages named tollFreeNumber and its default value is 1-800-555-5555, this value will replace the property name wherever it appears when the form is sent.
If the phone number later changes to 1-800-555-1212, you can simply change the default value of the text property, rather than changing every instance of the property name in your communication plan. The message sender can also change this value if required when initiating the message, and this modified value will then be inserted when the message is sent.
The communication plan builder also includes special predefined properties that allow you to personalize your notifications. To learn more, see xMatters Support.
Only properties that have been added to the form in the Layout tool will be available in the Form Properties panel of the message editors.
The following screenshot shows the key elements of the Properties tab:
Communication Plan Properties Tab
- On the Properties tab for the communication plan, click Create Property.
- Click the property type that you want to add and then click Next.
- Specify the settings for the property.
- For configuration details about each property type, see its related section below.
- Click Create Property.
You can rename or change the default values of existing properties.
Renaming or deleting a property may cause it to be removed from messages that have been scheduled to be sent in the future.
- On the Properties tab for the communication plan click the Edit Property button next to property name.
- Modify the property and then click Save Changes.
You can delete a property to remove it from your communication plan. You must first remove the property from any forms or messages before you can delete it.
Renaming or deleting a property may cause it to be removed from messages that are scheduled to be sent in the future.
- Remove the property from any messages or forms.
- On the Properties tab for the communication plan, click the x button next to the property name.
Once you have created a property, it will appear in the Properties area on the form designer and the message editors. Note that properties can be used only once on forms (but multiple times on messages).
Add a property to a form by dragging it to an existing custom section (you can also reorder it by dragging-and-dropping it).
Remove the property from the form by clicking its red X icon.
Once you've added a property to a form, you can click the Settings icon (the gear icon) to adjust property-specific settings:
- Toggle whether the property is mandatory by selecting or clearing the Required check box.
- Toggle whether to include the property value in webhooks by selecting or clearing the Include in Outbound Integrations check box. For more information about working with webhooks, see Outbound integration webhooks.
- Modify property details by selecting Edit Property.
- For text properties, control whether multi-line formatting is used by selecting or clearing the Multi-Line check box.
Drag it to the desired location on the message (you can also move it again by drag-and-drop).
Properties Added in the Email Message Editor