Flow Designer includes an Activity panel that you can use to monitor the system requests for your flows. This is useful for determining if your flows completed successfully, or for troubleshooting and debugging flows that fail.
When you create a flow, xMatters temporarily logs all requests for the flow until it reaches an allowed maximum. It then automatically disables logging except for failed requests which continue to be logged to help with troubleshooting. For more information about re-enabling logging for a flow, see Enable or disable logging.
At the top of the screen, click Activity.
xMatters opens the Activity panel at the bottom of the screen, beneath the canvas and palette. By default, the Activity panel displays a high level view of all the flows on your canvas, including the following:
- Type: An icon that represents the trigger type of your flow.
- Name: The name assigned to your flow on the canvas.
- Logging: A toggle to enable or disable logging for a flow.
By default, logging is automatically enabled for the first 25 requests when a new flow is created. It then automatically switches to logging only failed requests. You can enable logging for a flow to reset the limit and resume logging for the next 25 requests, whether they succeed or fail.
To enable or disable logging:
- On the Activity panel, click View All to return to the list of all flows, if needed.
- In the Logging column, use the toggle to enable or disable logging for a flow.
To view the logged requests for a flow, do one of the following:
- From the high level list of all flows, click the name of a flow.
- Use the Flow drop-down menu at the top of the Activity panel to select a flow.
The left side of the Activity panel displays a list of recent requests for a flow, with the latest requests at the top. Each request is marked with a date and time, and indicates whether the flow completed or if it failed at any stage during runtime. Selecting a request in the list highlights the associated flow on the canvas and displays its details in the Activity panel under the following tabs:
- Steps: Each step in the flow and whether it completed successfully or failed. Select a step to view its input and output parameters, if applicable, and their values.
- For flows triggered by an HTTP request, the step details also contain the parameters, headers, and body of the incoming request.
- Logs: Details about the request and the request log.
- Request Details: The UUID of the request, where it was executed (for example, in the cloud), and the date and time at which the request was submitted.
- Log: Specific information about the nature of the request and its contents, and any errors that occurred. If the flow contains steps running on an xMatters Agent, it also provides information on when the flow switched from running on the cloud to the agent and back, and which agent it ran on.
- Event: For flows triggered by an event activity, the event properties and their values.
To see new activity details for a flow, click the Refresh icon.
For basic troubleshooting tips, see Understand what's happening when flows don't flow.