Incident Management 101
Incident Management in xMatters lets you initiate, work, and review an incident from a simple, intuitive command center. In this overview, we go over the parts of the Incident Console and how to use them. If you'd like a deeper dive into any of them, we'll point you in the right direction.
If you're the type who learns by example, check out our walkthrough of working an incident, which goes through the process — from incident initiation to resolution to review. To access the incident management features in xMatters, click Incidents in the main menu to open the Incidents list.
The Incidents list
Use the Incidents list to quickly find incidents where you're the owner, or narrow the list based on severity or status. You can also search for a keyword in the summary or description to find incidents you need to engage with.
Do you have multiple signals initiating incidents created by the same root cause? Set the status or severity of multiple incidents at once to reduce the noise and give your resolution team space to think. Set the status to "Rejected" to easily filter it out of the Incidents list and remove it from your analytics.
Click a specific incident to view its details. Don't see any incidents? You can initiate a new one manually using the Initiate Incident button or the dashboard widget, or automate incident initiations — learn how.
The Incident Console
The Incident Console is your heads-up display for working an incident. Find and update incident details, gather your resolution team, and add notes to help in the incident postmortem.
Basic incident details
First up are the basic incident details:
- The summary and description help you find the incident in the incidents list and give resolvers context on the issue.
- Use severity and status to understand and monitor the impact on your services, business, and end users.
- Set the impact duration to record how long the incident impacted the business.
- See who's responsible for what roles in the incident resolution process.
Use Resolvers to see what teams and individuals are engaged in the incident resolution process and who might need to be notified again, and to engage new resolvers as the incident progresses.
Stay connected with your incident resolution team using collaboration channels. If you have channels associated with the incident, they show up in Collaboration. Click the conference link to go to the Conference Report in xMatters or click a chat link to quickly join the conversation. Click the copy icon to share the information with others.
Add collaboration channels to your incidents by dragging and dropping steps into the flow in Flow Designer. Learn more in our Incident Resolution workflow guide.
The Timeline lets you keep track of everything that happened during the incident, recording incident activity in real-time and noting who made the change — when the incident was created, who's been notified and their response, and changes to incident details, such as status and severity.
You can also add notes, recording resolution activity to help in post-incident analysis.
Tailor it to adapt to your incident management process
The Incidents list streamlines the process of working an active incident, letting you find critical incidents, reduce noise by eliminating duplicates, and monitor the progress of an incident on the incident console.
But, with a customizable workflow and the power of Flow Designer, you can tailor xMatters adaptive incident management to suit your needs. For example:
- Initiate an incident in response to another step in a flow, or initiate an incident when xMatters receives a signal to an HTTP trigger.
- Customize notifications and responses.
- Gather more information to send to the resolvers before the incident is initiated.
- Set up your own collaboration channels.
- Add automated steps to help incident resolution, such as rebuilding a Jenkins project or automatically post to a Statuspage to let your customers know you're aware of the problem and are working on the issue.
Learn more about how to customize the installable incident management workflow.